Help us prevent natural gas theft
Tampering with or bypassing a natural gas meter is a dangerous and illegal act. When people tamper with meters or install illegal connections to divert natural gas into their home or business, they endanger themselves and their neighbors.
If you suspect that natural gas theft may be happening in your area, you can report it anonymously. Just give us a call at 1-800-752-7504.
Signs of Natural Gas Theft
- Tools jammed in meter
- Missing or broken meter seal
- Anyone other than a Piedmont employee working on a meter
- Tubes running from in-ground piping
- A meter missing the index that displays natural gas usage
- Odor of leaking natural gas (
click here to read about how to detect a leak)
Tips for Preventing Natural Gas Theft
Become familiar with the natural gas pipelines and facilities in your area. Be observant of suspicious persons or activities and routinely check your meter to verify that no one has been tampering with it.
Penalties and Fees:
In addition to potential criminal prosecution, natural gas thieves may face the following fees or penalties:
- The cost of the estimated stolen natural gas, multiplied by three
- The cost to repair damaged Piedmont Natural Gas facilities
- Civil charges
- Denial of future services