Fraud Alerts for Customers
Piedmont Natural Gas is always looking out for potential fraud attempts that could negatively impact our customers. Listed here are some of the most common scams, along with some important reminders and alerts. Please take note of each item, and be sure to call us at 1-800-752-7504 if you believe your Piedmont Natural Gas account has been targeted or compromised.
Customers who believe they have been a victim of these or any other scams can notify local police, the state attorney general's office or the Better Business Bureau.
- Customers of some local utilities have been targeted by callers who claim to be utility employees and then demand payment on a past-due bill. The caller will ask the customer to buy a prepaid credit card and then to call them back with the card number to avoid service interruption
- Scammers have targeted restaurant owners by threatening to cancel utility service to restaurants unless the owners purchase prepaid bank cards to cover the cost of unpaid bills. The scammers answer the telephone as the utility when called at the contact number provided
- A man posing as a utility worker has approached people at their homes, threatening to remove their meter unless they pay money to reset it
Piedmont Natural Gas employees will never ask for cash or prepaid cards in exchange for service. If you are suspicious about someone claiming to be a Piedmont employee, our service technicians always:
If you remain in doubt, please call us at 1-800-752-7504 to confirm we are working in your area.
- Drive a vehicle that clearly shows our name and telephone number
- Wear a blue uniform with our logo
- Carry a Piedmont Natural Gas identification card, which you should request to see
Special alert for new customers
Call us directly – don’t use a middle man!
If you’re moving to the area or just buying a new home, don’t trust a third party to schedule connection of your natural gas services. Call us directly - we’ll protect your personal information and we’ll start your service for no charge.*
Piedmont Natural Gas does not coordinate with any third-party company that promises to start, stop or change your natural gas services – we work directly with our customers.
These third-party services go by various names and may be easily found on the Internet. We are advising all potential new customers to avoid third-party services for the following reasons:
Call Piedmont directly at 1-800-752-7504.
- Piedmont cannot guarantee the security of your personal information when you give it to a third party. This could expose you to identity theft
- Third parties do not have access to our systems and cannot schedule services for you. This will result in missed appointments and a lack of service
- Third parties may charge you a processing fee for their services, whereas Piedmont will start your service for no charge*
*Conditions apply based on credit history. A deposit may be required to initiate service.